Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Music Miscellany

Been a while since I posted, so I thought I’d give you an idea of what I have been getting into lately…

Recent albums I am listening to right now:


Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP: This will make a great late spring, summer album. Layered acapella choruses, great blend of electric and acoustic, and haunting yet uplifting lyrics. I think this group will be stars. See our previous review of their live show and check their full length self-titled CD coming out on June 3rd.

Citay: Little Kingdom (available on eMusic). San Franciscan psychedelic rock with shades of Houses of the Holy Led Zeppelin. Referred to by some as “chamber metal”. Nice “background” album to put on and relax to. Earned a 7.8 from P4K. Try out the title track and “On the Wings”.

The Raveonettes – Lust Lust Lust: I really enjoyed their debut from 2003, but have not paid much attention to the duo since. Their latest has a great atmospheric sound, loaded with a good bit of fuzzed out distortion. For fans of Asobi Seksu, Jesus & the Mary Chain, Magnetic Fields, and maybe Sonic Youth. Really enjoy the beats as well. My favorites: “You Want the Candy”, “Dead Sound”, and “Aly, Walk with Me”.

Headlights - Some Racing, Some Stopping: Mostly overlooked since its release earlier this year, I think this is a solid album. Reminds me a bit of Stars, but without all the cliche/melancholy political backstory.

Stuff I hope to get into more:

The Kooks – Konk: “Tick of Time” is a foot stomper, and I can hear why they recorded this album in The Kink’s old studio. Will be giving the entire album a listen soon.

The Helio Sequence – Keep Your Eyes Ahead: I have been picking and culling from this bands previous albums based on what I have heard on Internet radio, but have yet to sit down and listen to an entire CD. Need to do it, b/c every song I have downloaded from this Seattle duo has been catchy, single material. Look for them at the following Southeastern dates:


May 29, 2008: Local 506, Chapel Hill, NC
May 30, 2008: Village Tavern, Mt. Pleasant, SC
May 31, 2008: Social, Orlando, FL
June 1, 2008: Cafe Eleven, St. Augustine, FL
June 2, 2008: Common Grounds, Gainesville, FL
June 4, 2008: Hi-Tone, Memphis, TN


Tokyo Police Club – Elephant Shell: Have not had a chance to listen to the whole album, but I have been listening to cuts from this band for the past year, my favorite being "Your English Is Good". Fast-paced indie rock with a hint of punk influence. Received a great review from our friends at Filter.

Releases looking forward to:

Death Cab For Cutie – Narrow Stairs – May 13
My Morning Jacket – Evil Urges – June 10
Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes – June 3rd
Wolf Parade – Kissing the Beehive – June 17

And finally, really stoked about seeing one of the bands on my bucket list: Flaming Lips at City Stages, June 15.



No comments: