Thursday, August 16, 2007

Reviews 2007: Cont'd

Sorry it has been so slow. Combination of not much news and I have been very busy. I figured why not lay down the rest of the reviews.

Great Lake Swimmers - Ongiara released February 20, 2007
Great Lake Swimmers is a band you immediately enjoy upon hearing them. Tony Dekker's voice is captively meditating and soothing. Backed by a banjo and guitars, GLS combine for a very tight sound. My only criticism would be that it is very slow. However, that is just my personal taste. I do think it is a very solid record by a very talented band. For Fans of Sufjan Stevens, Iron & Wine Favorites: "Your Rocky Spine" and "I am Part of a Large Family" Grade B

Pela - Anytown Graffitti released April 23

I am absolutely obsessed with this cd. Anytown Graffitti did not get great reviews, and I honestly don't understand why not. At first listen, you think it is decent. However, after two or three you will be captivated. For Fans of Okkervil River, Clem Snide. Favorites: "Waiting on the Stairs," "Trouble with River Cities" "Anytown Graffiti" Grade: A-



Blonde Redhead - 23 released April 10.

I only recently got this cd because eMusic held out on it for some reason. I must say I thoroughly enjoy it. As previously mentioned, it is a very textured, wordly sound surely to soothe while not boring you. For Fans of ambient music. My Bloody Valentine, Bjork, Sigur Ros'. My favorites are "23" and "Dr. Strangluv." Grade B+


The White Stripes
- Icky Thump June 6, 2007

I really respect the White Stripes, but I am not 100% on board. While I do like some tracks on Icky Thump, I do not think it is a great record. I finally got White Blood Cells and must admit I do see what all the hype is behind that album. It truly is their best album. Some songs on Icky Thump are throwaways: "Rag and Bone" "Conquest." Favorites are: "Icky Thump," "You Don't Know What Love Is," and "Little Cream Soda." Grade C



No comments: