Thursday, August 09, 2007

May and prior Reviews

A long time has passed since I have done one of these review posts. One is long overdue especially since news has been slow. DISCLAIMER: My opinions have been known to change.


Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Pretty disappointing release. There, its off my chest. However, I have found a few gems in the album, and it is not that bad. Some of these tracks grow on you such as "Side with the Seeds," "Leave Me Like You Found Me," others I literally can't handle "Shake It Off," "Please Be Patient With Me," and "Sky Blue Sky." Strongest track is "You Are My Face" followed by "Either Way", "Impossible Germany", and "What Light." Grade C+/B-

Broken West - I Can't Go On, I'll Go On released January 2007.
I am just not a big fan of this record. While I will concede that I can see how people enjoy it, I get bored with it. Although laced with poppy tunes and catchy lyrics, it just doesn't grab me. I definitely think they are talented just not my favorite. Similar to: The Shins, Phoenix, Rogue Wave. Best Song: "Down in the Valley" Grade C



The Clientele - God Save the Clientele May 2007
The Clientele has never really gotten my blood flowing. However, I am sometimes in the mood for it. GSTC is just as good as Strange Geometry and a little more laid back. It is filled with violins and heavily textured melon collied ballads. Though there is something happy about it. Best Song: "Winter on Victoria Street" Grade B










The National - Boxer
Do I honestly have to say anything? This is an amazing album. While it is no Alligator, it is still a classic. No album will ever be Alligator. Boxer, a touch more meditative, delivers like no other release I have heard in a while. Lyrics are intriguing, music is beautiful, and the album is cohesive. Weakest song, "Racing Like a Pro" Favs are "Fake Empire," "Slow Show," "Apartment Story." Grade A








Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position
This album is very inconsistent. It contains unbelievable tracks as well as many just not that great tracks. First half of album will blow you away and second half will put you to sleep. Similar to: Arcade Fire, Andrew Bird, The Go! Team. Best Song: "The Magic Position" Grade B-



Feist - The Reminder
Leslie Feist blew her debut out of the water with this album. Her debut was slow, I mean real slow, (except for standout "Mushaboom.") Reminder brings the thunder with standout tracks "I Feel It All" (my personal fav), "Sealion" "1,2,3,4" and "My Man, My Moon." Grade B












White Rabbits - Fort Nightly
I really haven't given this album to good of a listen. It no doubt has some great tracks, but like Broken West just doesn't grab me....at least yet. Best Song: Navy Wives. Grade C+ (for now)

1 comment:

fairest said...

clyde, i suggest being a bit more patient with please be patient with me.