Friday, February 22, 2008

Bon Iver: an eclectic miracle


Nothing made me happier this week than escaping studying for the Bama bar and listening to Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago. I mean if you listen to that sample over there and are not impressed, to quote Blythe, "You ain't livin' right." As I told a buddy today, you might as well break your Jose Gonzalez cd over your knee. Recorded in the solitude of a cabin in the Wisconsin wilderness, Justin Vernon hibernated and recorded this blissfully overwhelming masterpiece. (no I am not being dramatic). Obviously, one thinks of Iron and Wine, but I must say it is a notch above ole' Sam. Something deeper and more complex blasts through my 9inch woofers. At times, I hear TV on the Radio's Tunde Adebimpe, however, on songs like "Wolves", the gushing crescendo reminds me of the first time I was severely moved by Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek." Justin's voice and echoing overdubs reflect vibrations as though they were bellowed in a acoustically sound church. Dude's a deerhunter too check out this Great article on Stereogum Also, he has his own blog. Go buy the album folks.
Best Song: No reason to pick favorites, I love em all. But if I had a gun to my head, I would say "Blindsided" and "Skinny Love."
Hails from: Wisconsin
Sounds like: Iron & Wine, acoustic TV on the Radio, Jose Gonzalez
Available on: eMusic, iTunes, Amazon.
Websites: Myspace, Blog, Virb
Tour in South:
03-07 Louisville, KY - Headliners
03-09 Knoxville, TN - The Pilot Light
03-10 Nashville, TN - Exit/In
03-11 Little Rock, AR - Sticky Fingerz

MP3: Skinny Love

Homemade video of "Re: Stacks" below.

No comments: