Will someone please set up a soapbox for me?
Okay, I am starting to severely doubt the taste of Pitchfork. While originality in music is a wonderful thing, P4k has taken it entirely too far with their reviews and Top 50 lists. P4k, you are unoriginal, and lack variety, almost all of your top ten is psych, freak, music that is basically mostly dance music. Bear with me while we go through their Top 10.
Let's start with
10. Burial - Untrue - I have sampled and sampled this cd and I don't get it. It's too weird. Psych-trance/dance music -
9. The Field - See above.
8. Battles - Mirrored
Okay, Psych dance music, anyone see a pattern yet?
7. Spoon - No complaints here
6. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam - AC is kind of interesting, but still just too weird to last. Basically, psych, freak rock.
5. Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna - Not really many complaints, but no top five album, but it is still in the psych rock category.
4. Radiohead - No complaints - It's good music.
3. MIA - Kala. More dance music, I now officially see the pattern.
2. LCD Soundsystem - Sounds of Silver. Another dance music cd with two wonderful songs on it, the others are boring. But still, dance music.
1. Panda Bear - Person Pitch. Sure its original, but it gets old after a couple of listens, and you guessed it, it is freak, psych rock.
Look at 2006: Scott Walker, Boris, Liars, Grizzly Bear, Joanna Newsom and number 1 was The Knife.
So all tolled, 6 weird dance cd's and a couple of freak, psych rock cd's. Why do we give so much weight to these guys? I am not jumping on this bandwagon anymore.
I am not saying all of these artists suck or are not talented, I am just saying that I really can't imagine really listening to these artists many more times than one. Compare this to the musical talent of the greats of the past: Springsteen, Dylan, Cash, Prine, Jerry, the Beatles, etc. Come on guys. You are trying too hard.