Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Kings of Leon/BRMC/Manchester Orchestra at Alabama Theatre


Normally I would be all over this show in Birmingham tonight. KOL’s 2003 debut Youth & Young Manhood was one of the albums that got me out of the doldrums of alternative music that had occupied the first part of the decade. But their underwhelming new release Because of the Times and the $33 ticket price turned me off, especially when I saw these guys play an amazing show at B&A Warehouse for $12 just two years ago. Still, they put on a hell of a live show, so I’d still recommend catching them if you can while on tour. Black Rebel Motorcycle Band and Manchester Orchestra open. Manchester, an Atlanta band, has received a lot of favorable reviews from outlets like Paste and Jenny Eliscu from Rolling Stone and Left of Center. Hopefully they will come back through on a tour of their own with a thriftier price of admission.

Manchester Orchestra – Wolves at Night
Manchester Orchestra – Alice and Interiors

I will be present for the Avett Brothers show this Friday night at Workplay and intend to have photos and a full report posted this weekend. Unfortunately, Drive-By Truckers are playing at the same time in the same building, an inexplicable injustice that I don’t care to go into, but I’ll attempt to get some feedback from my friends who make it to see Patterson and the gang.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't be a baby, Blythe. Do your job and pony up the $33.

Anonymous said...

Blythe, why do you even breathe? If I cannot trust you to bring yourself to a Manchester Orchestra performance, how the hell can I trust you not to misuse oxygen molecules?

Pull yourself together, man.