Friday, December 28, 2007

End of the eMusic month

Update at 11:20AM : added a few more gems.
I actually enjoy when the end of the month rolls around, and I have nothing to download on eMusic. It gives me an opportunity to update my collection with old favorites or try out some new artists. This month I went with the former. If you aren't in eMusic, head over to iTunes or your local music store. Here are a few diamonds in the rough I found.

Arcade Fire - "Surf City Eastern Bloc" Nice little ditty packed with powerful almost militant brass.

Old Crow Medicine Show - "Wagon Wheel" - Heard so much about these guys and from the sounds of this tune, I am hooked. Anyone know which cd I should get?

Rusted Root - Cruel Sun - The Godfathers of worldly tribal hippie-ish music. They made flautists cool again. Notables are "Send Me on My Way," "Martyr," and "Artificial Winter."

John Prine - The Missing Years and German Afternoons - Speaking of Godfathers. I can't get enough of Prine. Sheer genius.

Robert Earl Keen - Best - Texas alt-country at its finest.

Others:
Dan Bern - New American Language (plus others)
Sam Baker - Mercy
Josh Ritter - Animal Years
The Felice Brothers - Tonight at the Arizona
Avett Brothers
Backyard Tire Fire

2 comments:

Blythe said...

O.C.M.S. is my favorite Old Crow album. Released in 2004, it has Wagon Weel and some of my other favorites like CC Rider and Hard to Love.

Anonymous said...

O.C.M.S. is, indeed, a great live album (and was a really fun show, too!). Greetings from Wawa is definitely worth a listen, too.